Chief Mission Officer
Dr. Francis Piron is a marketing and international business professor with over 25 years of academic and industry experience in S.E. Asia, primarily in China, Singapore, Indonesia and Malaysia. Recently, he has consulted with Nestlé Indonesia, the National bank of Indonesia, Adidas (Indonesia). In China, he has taught and consulted in Beijing, Shanghai, Harbin, Tianjin and Shantou.
His research has focused on Chinese consumers and the creation of a consumer culture in Mainland China. The findings have been published in over 10 journals and are often used as references for subsequent efforts. Dr. Piron has also advised and supervised scores of doctoral and master’s level dissertations and thesis.
Dr. Piron’s strengths lie in executive education, academic supervision and graduate-level teaching. He has taught and consulted in China, Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore and Vietnam, in Asia. In Africa, he has trained leaders in Eritrea, Ghana. Mali, Niger, Nigeria and Sénégal. He has also trained in the US and Mexico. He is also fluent in English, French and Spanish, and is conversant in Portuguese and German.
Areas of Expertise
- Consumer behavior
- Marketing communications
- International business with a focus on multiple cultures
- D. –The Moore School of Business at the University of South Carolina at Columbia
- MIM-MBA – Thunderbird – The American Graduate School of International Management, Glendale, Arizona, USC
- BSBA – The University of Louisiana @ Lafayette
Key Publications & Presentations
- Piron, Francis (2006), ” China’s Changing Culture: Rural and Urban Consumers’ Favorite Things,” (full-length version) in Journal of Consumer Marketing, 23/6, pp. 327-334.
- Piron, Francis (2002), “International Shopping and Ethnocentrism,” European Journal of Marketing, Vol. 36, (1/2), pp. 189-210.
- Tan Dai Shij and Francis Piron (2002), “Advertising Agencies and Advertisers’ Perceptions of Internet Advertising,” in International Journal of Advertising, Vol. 21-3, pp. 381-397.
- Piron, Francis, & Adele Tan Kay Siang (2001), “Effects of Service and Communication Initiatives on Retail Consumers’ Loyalty,” in Singapore Management Review, Vol. 23, (2), 45-60.
- Piron, Francis (2000), “Consumers’ Perceptions of the Country-of-Origin Effect on Purchasing Intentions of (in)Conspicuous Products,” in Journal of Consumer Marketing, Vol. 17, Nr. 4-5, pp. 308-322.
- SWISS-UMEF, Niamey Niger
- Nestlé (Indonesia), National Bank of Indonesia (Bank Negara Indonesia), Bank Rakyat Indonesia, Jakarta Airport (Indonesia)
- London School of Commerce in London, Yerevan (Armenia), Colombo (Sri Lanka), Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)
- Shantou Business School, Shantou, University, Shantou, GuangDong, China
- Peking University – GuangHua School of Management, China
- CEIBS (China-Europe International Business School), Shanghai, China
Dr. Francis Piron: Honors & Awards
- Fulbright Scholar to the University of the Burundi